Have you heard of Mastermind before? Ever wondered… what is this? I’ve also been asked several times of late. Where did it originate? And how do I learn more? So, I trust sharing some history and details will help. If you’d like to go deeper, just let me know.
Masterminding is a goal-achievement tradition that goes back as far as Benjamin Franklin, and Henry Ford: convening a group of like-minded individuals and meeting regularly to support one another’s progress toward similar intentions and goals.
The concept of the Mastermind Group was formally introduced by Napoleon Hill in the early 1900’s. In his timeless classic, “Think And Grow Rich” he wrote about the Mastermind principle as:
“The coordination of knowledge and effort of two or more people, who work toward a definite purpose, in the spirit of harmony.”
“No two minds ever come together without thereby creating a third, invisible intangible force, which may be likened to a third mind.”
Some people aren’t very outgoing and simply don’t think in terms of team building and team participation. As they face challenges, it never occurs to them to enlist others to help and achieve something.
If you do everything alone and never partner with other people, you create huge barriers to your own potential.
As you face challenges and opportunities, think about who you can enlist to come alongside you.
In his book, The Law of Success, the group helps to organize useful knowledge, creating a virtual encyclopedia from which each member can draw information.” — Napoleon Hill, The Law of Success
What makes a Mastermind Group succeed?
Napoleon Hill feels so strongly about this that he says in Your Magic Power to be Rich…
“Maintain perfect harmony between yourself and every member of your mastermind group. If you fail to carry out this instruction to the letter, you may expect to meet with failure. The master mind principle cannot obtain where perfect harmony does not prevail.”
How’s it different than coaching or teaching?
It’s not a seminar or class. The main focus is the brainstorming and accountability support among the members. Brainstorming is the group discussing ideas, ways of solving challenges, and looking for the opportunity.
It’s not group coaching. Mastermind groups are about the members sharing with each other, the focus is not coaching, even though that may happen from time-to-time. You get everyone’s feedback, advise and support. As the facilitator, I bring the framework, leadership topic(s), and keep the conversation balanced between all members.
It’s not a networking group. It’s not the focus of the group. Through your connections you will find and share opportunities and resources via your professional networking away from the group meeting.
What is the benefit of joining the Group?
- Answers and ideas, which come from “brainstorming” within the group
- Increase your own experience and confidence
- Sharpen your business, leadership, coaching, and personal skills
- Add an instant and valuable support network
- Get honest feedback, advice, support, instruction, and brainstorming
- Borrow on the experience and skills of other members
- Receive insights into yourself
- Optimistic peer support in maintaining a positive mental attitude
- A sense of shared endeavor – there are others out there!
- A boost to your everyday positive mental attitude
- Group study of Leadership, Teamwork, Communication, and Growth principles/practices, create an action plan, and then have the group support you in fulfilling your plan and goals
“It is the principle through which you can accomplish in one year more than you could accomplish without it in a lifetime if you depended entirely on your own efforts for success.” — Napoleon Hill
Why join the Group?
- Community. Be part of an exclusive community — typically you’ve been selected or invited by the members of the group. Existing members need you as much as you need them. Quality of experience and knowledge is key to all members.
- Advice. Once involved, that feeling of “alone” while coaching a team, running a business, or leading a group has now disappeared.
- Learning. New learning from others that have skills, experience, and connections to share. Most times someone in the group has a solution, connection, or tactic to help with your challenge or opportunity.
- Collaboration. The group collaboratively works together to achieve more. You may be the person to help another or visa versa.
- Connecting. Expand your network with other business and organization leaders or coaches, connecting is so important.
- Think. Think differently, larger, and through challenges and opportunities. The group will give you a Master Mind! You grow and think bigger when involved with awesome people doing awesome things
- Amazing. The Mastermind Group is amazing and can do surprising things for your business or team, and for you personally.
- Fun. Growing in a group is efficient, effective, and fun!
“It is the principle through which you may borrow and use the education, the experience, the influence, and perhaps the capital of other people in carrying out your own plans in life.” — Napoleon Hill
Who should join a Leadership Mastermind Group?
- You have an interest in the Leadership journey, Teamwork, Connecting, Personal and Professional Growth, and Learning
- Bringing a friendly and positive attitude is possible
- Have the desire and inspiration to grow
- You’re committed to a supportive group of partners
- Willing to explore, participate, and share ideas openly
- You want to reach or exceed your goals
- You’re ready to let your desire, to be passionate about your life and work, overcome your fear of change
Examples — Locally or nationally, Entrepreneurs, Business owners, Directors of non-profit chapters, High School Principals, Sport Coaches, Athletic Directors, Franchise owners, and on and on.
Do you qualify? Are you ready?
How does it happen?
First you’re invited to join because you qualify. It’s a special win-win gathering for all members. New friendships grow and advance because of the encouragement and positive environment.
The group is made up of highly motivated people willing to ask, give their help, support, and share their experience by attending every meeting.
You meet in-person, online, or both, most importantly, a commitment is required.
The members select a leadership success topic (s) and studies bi-weekly or monthly.
This group setting will sharpen your skills by bringing fresh ideas and a different perspective, the mastermind will help you achieve success.
There is synergy of energy, commitment, and excitement that participants bring to a Mastermind Group.
It’s a safe and supportive environment, where the leadership journey and process, takes place without judgement and encourages curiosity.
I lead the group and create a friendly atmosphere and bring the framework, leadership topic(s), and keep the conversation balanced between all members. Members are then able to connect with each other, develop rapport and trust. Keeping the group on track and focused by asking the hard questions is also part of my role. We also have some fun and I handle the meeting details along with the group communication.
“Defining success is a difficult task. Most people equate it with wealth, power, and happiness. However, true success is not a thing you acquire or achieve. Rather, it is a journey you take your whole life long.” — Dr John C Maxwell
Consequently, if you have something else in mind, interested in more or joining a leadership group, and maybe have questions, feel free to let me know, and then connect.
Ready? LET”S GET BETTER!